When I started my blog, I had a few blogosphere friends who were nice enough to introduce me to the world of garden blogging and even nominated me for a couple of awards. At the time, I knew there were rules to accepting the awards I just didn’t know if I could fulfill the requirements. Both awards ask that you nominate anywhere from 7-15 other blogs when accepting the award. Being a new blog I didn’t know 3 other blogs much less 15. Also I take these things very seriously. That is why I had to get off Facebook I didn’t understand the “friend” situation. The farmer and I had many conversations that ended with me saying “but they’re not my friend”. If I am going to nominate a blog it has to be a blog I really like.
My first nomination was from Nitty Gritty Dirt Man. Kevin was my first blogosphere friend and was the one who introduced me to Blotanical (a garden blog forum). Kevin and I are at opposite ends of the garden blog spectrum it’s country mouse meets city mouse. I still enjoy Kevin’s blog very much. He comes up with the most creative and entertaining garden posts and was even” Freshly Pressed” for one of his posts (in the world of WordPress blogging, this is a great honor). He also plays bagpipes, being Scottish, I appreciate the bagpipes. Kevin honored me with the versatile blogger award. Thanks Kevin!
My second nomination was from The Sage Butterfly. This blog is filled with information regarding natural gardening. Sage Butterfly and I share a passion for birds. We both enjoy watching and feeding the birds that fly into our yards. Sage Butterfly nominated me for the Sunshine Award and the Leibster Award. Thank you Sage Butterfly!
My next nomination was from a blog I very recently found Clover and Thyme. Becky, blogs about her home and garden. She takes great pics, which is the part of blogging that I need help with. She posts good-looking and healthy recipes, and along with keeping up with her blog she is a homeschooling mom. Becky nominated me for the Versatile blogger award. Thank you Becky!
I also want to add to this list Jeans Garden. Jean has a wonderful and very popular garden blog. Jean is extremely informational and is one of those blogs, that as a new blogger, you aspire to someday be. Jean featured my blog last month in her garden blogs of the month feature. If my blog ever has the status that Jeans does, I hope to do a garden blog feature as well and pass on the generosity that Jean has shown me. A lot of traffic came my way from being featured on Jeans blog. This is very encouraging to a new blogger. My point in blogging is not to become famous, but when you write it’s nice to have people read it. Thanks so much Jean!
Now for the harder parts of these awards. For the Versatile Blogger award, I have to share seven things about myself.
- I’m a foodie
- I enjoy triathlon
- I have slept in the barn with my cattle.
- In 4-H, I qualified for the state fair with my yeast bread.
- In high school, I used to steal flowers from my neighbors yards and make flower arrangements. The trick was getting a good variety but not taking too much that they would actually notice. I would scope them out during the day and at night my friends and I had a plan about who we were going to hit. Dogs were always our worst enemy. Sunflowers were the prize flower, but extremely hard to get. You had to have the right cutting tool and then try running through someones yard with a 10 foot flower. Then you had to fit it into your car if your dad wouldn’t let you borrow the truck. He always suspected we were up to something weird when we would ask for the truck wearing all black. I have learned from my past transgressions. If a high school kid ever comes to my door and wants some of my flowers I will be happy to give them some. They first have to sit through my landscape presentation. “Let’s go back to the summer of 2003 when I planted the burning bush….”
- I love going to farm auctions and finding the farm wife stuff ie. rolling pins, jars, aprons.
- I only like canning until it becomes work then I don’t want to do it anymore. That’s right around 30 jars of tomatoes.
Now, I have to make my list of 15 blogs that I want to nominate. This is for the Versatile Blogger award. I’m only making one group of nominations because like I said these are my favorite blogs. The above blogs are included in my favorite blogs list, but I’m not going to renominate them. So here are my additional 15 nominees. Nominees, for rules to the versatile blogger award click the image above.
- Heartland Farmhouse
- As Long As You Have A Garden
- The Museum of Forgotten Pickles
- The Root Cellars Garden
- Blog When You Feel Like It
- The Pyjama Gardener
- Polka Dot Galoshes
- Plants and Stones
- The Middlest Sister
- Meanwhile, back at the ranch
- The Page Sitwell Reports
- Everyday Gardener
- Going Native
Ok so 14 is all I have. I was really shooting for 15, but the kids are getting antsy and I can’t be on the computer any more and I don’t think the versatile blogger police will come and get me.
Thank you again to my nominators and blog recognizers. It makes a person feel good to be honored in such a way.
The Farm Wife